Atlantic Coast and Mountain Valley Pipelines
Update: Air Board Defers Vote on Air Permit for Buckingham Compressor Station
On Friday, November 9, we celebrated because the Virginia Air Pollution Control Board decided to defer their vote on the air permit for the proposed Atlantic Coast Pipeline (ACP) Buckingham compressor station until their next meeting because of health, site suitability and environmental justice concerns. This deferral is to give the Board more time to consider the information that the public, the Department of Environmental Quality and Dominion Energy submitted. Read our statement on this decision.
Please mark your calendar for the final meeting on Monday, December 10 to join the residents of Union Hill and Buckingham County for support and to witness the decision. Faith leaders, please wear your religious garments to serve as an immediate visual representation of the faith community’s presence at the meetings. We are looking for a clergy or faith leaders to assist with spiritual care after the decision is made. Please let Elizabeth know if you are able to assist at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-218-3423.
Please join us, our neighbors at Interfaith Power & Light (DC.MD.NoVA), and faith communities across the state as we encourage Governor Northam to take a closer look at the impacts on Creation of the proposed MVP and ACP pipelines through the #Pray4TreeProtectors social media action.
We invite Virginia’s faith communities to post a sign like the one pictured right on a tree on their grounds. Will your community #Pray4TreeProtectors? Download our signs.
Buckingham Circle of Protection: Interfaith Prayer Vigil
November 18 and December 16, 1:00-3:00pm
Potluck and Speaker: 2:00-3:00pm
1496 Union Hill Rd, Buckingham, 23921
Circle of Protection is an Interfaith Prayer Vigil to protect Buckingham County from the proposed Atlantic Coast Pipeline and the proposed Union Hill ACP Compressor Station. Expect neighbors, prayer, story, poetry and song.
Other Ways to Take Action
- To directly support the resistance to the Mountain Valley Pipeline and Atlantic Coast Pipeline, donate to Interfaith Alliance For Climate Justice, a Virginia-based nonprofit.
- Mountain Valley Watch (MVW), a collaboration of volunteers, nonprofits, and private interests, will observe and document construction activity of the Mountain Valley Pipeline to assure compliance with environmental regulations during construction. Visit Mountain Valley Watch on Facebook for training schedule, events and updates.
- Show a place that matters to you on the pipeline route by uploading a photo to Wild Virginia’s map.
- Our Air, Our Lives: Religious Fact-Finding Delegation to Buckingham County Report – VAIPL
- Threats to Water Quality from Mountain Valley Pipeline and Atlantic Coast Pipeline Water Crossings in Virginia – Downstream Strategies
- Faith Leaders’ Sign On Letter: Environmental Justice & Resisting Pipelines