Clean Energy Virginia Initiative – Executive Directive 11
As faith communities, we must do our part to address the pollution that is damaging our climate, harming our neighbors, and all of Creation. Show your support for limiting carbon pollution in the Commonwealth by letting our Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) know that Virginia’s faith communities demand climate action.
Last year, former Governor Terry McAuliffe issued the Clean Energy Virginia initiative — also known as Executive Directive 11 (ED 11) — which directed our DEQ to draft a commonsense standard to reduce carbon pollution from Virginia power plants, one of our state’s top sectors contributing to climate change.
Now, Governor Ralph Northam is moving this climate action forward. By taking this step, Virginia could be the first southern state to directly address climate change, but we need to continue speaking out to make sure this rule becomes a reality.
Three ways to take action today:
1. Send a comment to the DEQ, demanding a safeguard that will reduce carbon pollution in the Commonwealth. The comment deadline is Monday, April 9.
2. Request a set of postcards from VAIPL to distribute and collect in your faith community by checking the appropriate box when you submit your comment to the DEQ. Be sure to request your postcards by Monday, March 19.
3. Make your voice heard alongside VAIPL by speaking to our moral obligation to #ActonClimate. We will circulate talking points to help folks with their testimony. Mark your calendar to attend an upcoming ED 11 public hearing at your regional DEQ office:
- Wed., March 7, 5:00pm – Southwest region (Abingdon) – RSVP & invite others!
- Thurs., March 8, 5:00pm – Blue Ridge region (Roanoke) – RSVP & invite others!
- Mon., March 12, 5:00pm – Tidewater region (Virginia Beach) – RSVP & invite others!
- Wed., March 14, 5:00pm – Valley region (Harrisonburg) – RSVP & invite others!
- Thurs., March 15, 5:00pm – Northern region (Woodbridge) – RSVP & invite others!
- Mon., March 19, 1:30pm – Central region (Richmond) – RSVP & invite others! (Prior to the hearing, at noon, we will gather for a Press Event at the Bell Tower on Virginia Capitol Grounds. RSVP & invite others.)
Need help crafting your testimony? Use these Environmental Justice and Moral Responsibility Talking Points, and/or register to watch a recording of a webinar on how to comment.