Join us on Thursday, April 21st for a free screening of Youth v. Gov! Watch this inspiring documentary of how twenty-one young Americans make a groundbreaking case to sue the US government. These advocates realize that climate change will disproportionately affect them in the present day and in the future. If they succeed, they could change everything about how we view climate change.
Celebrate Earth Day with VAIPL! Join us as we host a traditional East African coffee ceremony to reflect on & discuss community, nature, & belonging. We invite you to attend one of our three rituals at 11:00 AM, 12:00 PM, or 5:00 PM on April 22nd. Register at https://bit.ly/earthdaycoffee22
This Earth Month, Virginia Interfaith Power & Light will be hosting events to honor the earth, and our place within it. We hope to see you join us for the following events:
Take Action During Earth Month
One way we can live into being people of faith at the moment is by advocating for our neighbors and for Creation from home. Please see links to some action opportunities below:
- Interested in connecting your congregation or community to workshops and resources on caring for the Earth? Become a partner community with VAIPL!
- The residents in Bristol, Virginia are experiencing nosebleeds, vomiting, and asthma. Sign the petition to close the Bristol Landfill. Learn more about the landfill by clicking here.
- Join us in supporting the opportunity to build a better world for the next generation. Sign our petition in support of Build Back Better. Learn more about Build Back Better by clicking here.
Faith Climate Action Week 2022 (April 22 – May 1)
Faith Climate Action Week is ten days in April during Earth Month when IPL congregations focus on how we can all take action to protect our climate. The 2022 theme is Sacred Trust: Our Children’s Right to a Livable Future.
Our children and grandchildren will bear the brunt of climate change, and their voices have an outsized impact in the halls of power when they speak about how climate change affects their future. We invite you to lean into this sobering and hopeful paradox and work alongside the youth in your congregation or community to speak up for their rights to a stable climate. Make it a focus of your Earth Day worship services and be part of the solution with the suggested actions in the 2022 organizer’s kit below:
- Organizer’s instructions
- Sacred Trust Guide – learn about our children’s moral and legal rights to a livable climate, intergenerational climate justice, plus suggestions for action for congregations and individuals
- Youth and Children Blessing Ceremony
- Postcards to collect Voter pledges and a pre-addressed envelope to mail them to IPL
- Climate change fact sheet
- Links to the nationwide Climate Prayer, with more online worship resources
- Option: Screen “Youth v Gov”, a climate change “superhero” movie, by streaming for your in-person audience or over Zoom during the window April 11 – May 1. DVDS also available through IPL, includes screening rights and screening guide with discussion questions. Click here to access the film page.