Fall 2020 Resources
Dates: October 2 – 4
(Dates are adaptable and faith communities can participate any time before the election)
This fall, through a partnership between Interfaith Power & Light (DC.MD.NoVA), Faith Alliance for Climate Solutions, and Virginia Interfaith Power & Light, pastors, rabbis, imams, and other clergies in congregations across the region will be raising up Creation care and climate change as part of their sermons at weekly services and through other learning programs. We are working to build the beloved community and to raise up voting as our sacred responsibility. Join Virginia Interfaith Power & Light for Climate in the Pulpits this fall on the theme Vote: Committing Ourselves to Climate Justice and Beloved Community. Thank you for being one of many caring faith communities that have committed to working with us to raise up voting for climate justice and Creation care. Learn more about the history and purpose of Climate in the Pulpits here.
Click to find the following resources below:
- VA Voting Information 2020
- Request a speaker
- Sample talk for speakers
- For Christian communities
- Recursos para las iglesias en español
- For Jewish communities
- For Muslim communities
- For Unitarian Universalist communities
Spread the Word!
Let your neighbors know your congregation is participating by sharing and tagging the Climate in the Pulpits events — Virginia — on Facebook! Use hashtag #ClimatePulpits to share photos and teachings from your congregation’s program.
VA Voting Information 2020
- Absentee ballots and Registrar Office information for faith communities
- Virginia Interfaith Center for Public Policy 2020 Election Information
- Take the Faith Climate Justice Voter Pledge!
- Join our Green Futures Challenge
- Download our Reflection Guide: Democracy, Values, & the 2020 Election
Request a guest speaker
We can connect your congregation with skilled speakers whose environmental work is rooted in their faith traditions, and with passionate environmental educators who know how to share green skills and enthusiasm with diverse religious groups.
The speakers and teachers in our Speakers Bureau are ready to offer guest sermons, text studies, adult forum presentations, youth group programming, and skills workshops on environmental themes in local congregations, including Spanish-speaking communities. Click here (Congregations in Northern Virginia), here (Congregations in Fairfax), and here (Congregations outside of Northern Virginia) to learn more and request a guest speaker or workshop.
Religious Statements on Climate Change
Most religious communities have released statements on Climate Change and the need to care for Creation. The following statements can be used to lead worships during Climate in the Pulpits, on the Bimah & in the Minbar events. Please let us know if there are any additional statements you would like to see included.
Sample talk for speakers
Click here for a five-minute script on Climate in the Pulpits (en español-coming soon)!
And be sure to check out this great resource on environmental justice policy in Virginia, co-written by Kendyl Crawford with Virginia IPL.
Resources for Christian communities
– Climate in the Pulpits: Sermon Starters for Revised Common Lectionary – Revised Common Lectionary for October 4th
– Jubilee for the Earth: Season of Creation Guide 2020
– From Creation Justice Ministries: Ethics of Energy study guide – Sample Sermons for Christian communities: Sample Sermons
* Resources for African-American/black churches
– From Interfaith Power & Light (DC.MD.NoVA): “Climate Change and African-American Communities” 1-pager
– From Creation Justice Ministries: African American Climate Initiative
* Resources for Catholic parishes
– Climate in the Pulpits: Homily Helps
– Daily Mass Readings for the 33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time – A sample Homily for 27th Sunday in Ordinary Time from the Lectionary (October 4)
– From the Catholic Climate Covenant: “The Healing Power of Love in Action: Creation Care in a Time of Pandemic and Partisanship”
– From Marty Haugen/GIA Publications: Hymns for a Mass of Creation (for purchase)
* Resources for children & youth
– Climate in the Pulpits: Children’s Message: Caring for the Gift of Creation (coming soon)
– From Interfaith Power & Light (DC.MD.NoVA): Light Switch Reminders coloring sheet
– From Catholic Climate Covenant: Friending Planet Earth Curriculum (youth)
– From Green Anglicans: The Story of Creation Sunday School Curriculum (children)
– From New Community Project: Operation Creation! Curriculum (children)
* Recursos para las iglesias en español
– Muestra de Participación de Orador Invitado(coming soon)
– De la Alianza Católica para el Clima: Cuidar la creación de Dios: Recursos para la liturgia, la predicación y la acción
– Del Columban Center: Guía de Estudio Para Personas Y Grupos Pequeños
Resources for Jewish communities
– Climate on the Bimah: Dvar Torah Notes
– From Canfei Nesharim: Dvar torah on the environment for Parashat Vayera
– For children, from BimBam: Parashat Vayera Video and Source Sheet
– From My Jewish Learning: Unguarded Roofs: Commentary on Parashat Vayera
– Jewish text studies: Toward a Wiser Use of Energy and Genesis and Human Stewardship of the Earth