2020 Earth Month
This Earth Month, VAIPL was a part of the worldwide effort to spread hope, love, and action to bring communities together even while being physically apart. Here is a snapshot of our Earth Month activities.
Virginia Interfaith LIVE! Earth Day Show: Climate Justice Resilience
On Earth Day, VAIPL Director Kendyl Crawford hosted an informative conversation on food, faith, and justice with Rev. Dr. Faith Harris, VAIPL Steering Committee Chair, and Duron Chavis, Happily Natural Day Festival Founder. If you missed it, please click here to watch this informative show.
2020 VAIPL Earth Month Webinars
April 3, 12PM – VAIPL Earth Month Sneak Peek
April 4, 1PM – Letter to the Editor Writing Training
April 10, 12PM – A General Assembly Environmental Justice Recap: Watch the recording here.
- Description: We had an exciting General Assembly Session in which two very important Environmental Justice Bills were passed. Join Kendyl Crawford, VAIPL Director, and Harrison Wallace, Virginia Director of the Chesapeake Climate Action Network, discuss the GA 2020 session and share our collective environmental justice successes with you.
April 17, 12PM – Stopping Fossil Fuels in VA: Watch the recording here.
- Description: Fossil fuels are a great threat to our climate. Join our team for a thorough discussion on actions taken on stopping fossil fuels in Virginia and updates on Charles City County, Union Hill and other fossil fuel resistance efforts.
April 24, 11AM – Caring for the Planet During Ramadan: Watch the recording here.
- Description: This year Ramadan (Muslims’ Holy Month of Fasting) will be a very different experience due to the coronavirus outbreak. Join us for a discussion by Muslim faith leaders and environmental justice experts on the spirit of Ramadan while caring for the planet.
Candid Conversations with Virginia Interfaith Power & Light was a weekly Facebook Live with VAIPL staff on Mondays at 11:30AM in April. This was a time for VAIPL staff to share some of their thoughts on faith and the environment, to share how we are staying hopeful and keeping sane, and to chat and catch up with you directly via social media during Earth Month and this coronavirus crisis. You can watch the recordings here.
During the days surrounding Earth Day (April 17-26) we focused on how we can take action to protect our climate. Every year, National IPL develops a Faith Climate Action Week Kit and provides resources for congregations. Download your kit today to have access to these evergreen resources you can use no matter the time of year!
- Nationwide Climate Prayer, April 22, 12PM Local
- Join us from wherever you are – your home, your place of worship, your office, your school, or outside under the sun.The Prayer will be emailed to you and you can download the Prayer on the Faith Climate Action Week website.
- Add your name now to join the Nationwide Climate Prayer on April 22 at noon (local time)!
- Free Feature Film: The Human Element
- Earth Vision Institute is providing the feature film for this year’s Faith Climate Action Week – The Human Element – and they have decided to offer a link to view the film for free online during Faith Climate Action Week to all Interfaith Power & Light congregations, organizations, and individuals. Sign up here to receive the link to view on April 17, good through April 26.
- Online Multi-faith Earth Day Service, April 19, 2-3PM
- Washington National Cathedral and Interfaith Power & Light co-host this online service focused on our shared call to climate action. Leaders from Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim and Christian and other spiritual communities share their tradition’s gifts through sacred text, commentary, and song. Join us in prayer and song in honor of the 50th anniversary of Earth Day at www.cathedral.org/earthday
Take Action During Earth Month
One way we can live into being people of faith at the moment is by advocating for our neighbors and for Creation from home. Please see links to quick action opportunities below.
- Faith Climate Voter Pledge
- The 2020 election will set the nation’s course on climate change. As people of faith, we are called to care for God’s Creation and our children’s future. That’s why Virginia Interfaith Power & Light encourages you to pledge to vote your values. All individuals are encouraged to take this action!
- Clergy and Faith Community Thank You Sign On Letter to Governor Northam
- Thank the Virginia Governor for supporting the implementation of environmental justice standards in our commonwealth. The Virginia Environmental Justice Act and codifying the Virginia Council on Environmental Justice, both of which passed during this past General Assembly Session, are just beginning steps to ensuring the fair treatment of all Virginians. Clergy and faith communities are encouraged to take this action.
- People of Faith Declaration on Energy Burden
- As faith communities, we seek to offer a positive and empowering voice of hope over fear, compassion over indifference, and of urgent and fair action. As such, we encourage the lowering of the energy burden for all Virginians, especially those who are the “least of these”. A Virginia Poverty Law Center report found that Virginia’s households experience a higher electricity bill burden than the national average, with many low-income families having to pay high electricity bills. All individuals are encouraged to take this action!
- Ask Governor Northam to Protect Virginia Communities from Transient Pipeline Workers During the COVID-19 Crisis
- During this health crisis we ask Governor Northam to declare fossil fuel projects “non-essential” in order to maintain safety from COVID-19 both in our communities and for workers on the sites. All individuals are encouraged to take this action!
Mark Your Calendar
- Be sure to check the VAIPL Virginia Environmental Events Calendar for webinars, etc. happening throughout April and beyond. It’s at the bottom of the VAIPL website homepage.
Resources for Celebrating Earth Day with Your Faith Community
- Creation Justice Ministries (National Council of Churches) Earth Day Sunday Resources
- Sample sermons are available here
- Earth Day Network Faith Outreach
- Social Media Hashtags
- #VAEarthDay2020, #EarthDay2020, #EARTHRISE, #Faith4ED2020